For Fabric Upholstery
If vinyl is easy to clean although it is difficult to keep it cleaned, fabric on the hand is the most difficult to detail, to clean and to keep it cleaned. Why? Two reasons, it easily stains and it easily soils and fade. With this reason you may think choosing fabric upholstery for your car’s interior is just impractical but the comfort it provides makes it just as the best choice for most car owners. But this is not the post I will discuss the other benefits and advantages of a fabric materials for car upholstery, this is a post in continuation on how to detail car’s upholsteries.
When cleaning your fabric upholstery, you have to seat at least two to three hours to get it done. Unlike vinyl that would only take less than 30 minutes to wipe off the dirt and clean it dry. But with then right cleaning materials and learning the very basic method in cleaning it, that two to three hours time could be cut in half.
What is the best product choices left to your option?
- Spray cleaners. Either the foaming or non-foaming type, these type of cleaners are easy to be applied. It sinks in the fabric lifting the dirt and stains off to the surface so you can just wipe it away. This comes in strong solution so the stains are easily removed since it gets deep into the stain. When using it for the first time, apply it in hidden area of your upholstery. Observe if it changes its colors or affected its texture. If the answer is yes, do not use this anymore and try another cleaner that is less concentrated than it.
- Shampoo. Or a homemade laundry soap solution. By using this, you are just washing your fabric upholstery like ordinary clothes. But you need to use brush or sponge along with it and you must rinse it thoroughly to avoid moldy smell. Shampooing up your fabrics could be a very good and effective way to clean it but you need to put much detail on rinsing it. The secret lies in rinsing that all soap remains must be removed. Vacuum dry the fabric also after shampooing for a quick dry to ensure it well smell good. You can also use a blow-dryer if you don’t have a vacuum with you. Blow dryer could be use especially if you’re cleaning under a very good sunny weather where you have the sun to help you dry your fabric fast.
7 Easy Steps To Clean Your Fabric Upholstery
- Get one small bucket and pour enough warm water in it. Keep an extra galloon of clean water for rinsing.
- Using the spray cleaner you have, spray directly over the soiled areas. If using a shampoo, mix it with 4 ounces of cleaner in the bucket of water for a more concentrated solution.
- Grab your scrub brush and rub it in circular motion to thrust the cleaner solution in the fabric evenly. Spray water over the solution constantly so it will not stick and remain on the fabric.
- After rubbing it, wipe the solution with a sponge or damp cloth or micro fiber towel but soak or dip the cloth into the water from time to time.
- Throw away the soapy water in the bucket and replace it with clean warm water. Use this new water in rinsing your fabric upholstery by using another damp cloth. Dip the cloth in the water if it’s getting dry again or it has soap on it already.
- After rinsing, get you vacuum and dry the fabric up or use blow dry to extract ang wring the excess rinse water out.
- Apply a fabric protectant when it dries already.